Friday, October 19, 2012

What Would You Want to Be?


What would you want to be?
And what would you really be?
In a world of wonder,

in a world of magic,
in a world of fantasy?

What about a Warrior?
A mighty fighter of brute strength
or a skilled artist of the blade?
A berserker fighting through pain
or an armored tank, utterly unafraid?
A knight at war for honor
or a mercenary who kills to be paid?

Mayhap a Mage?
Blasting foes with fire
or freezing them in ice?
Creating light in your palm
or is darkness more your vice?
A spell to read people's thoughts
or one to tip the dice?

Could you be a Cleric?
Mending comrade's wounds
or restoring life to the dead?
Experienced in the field
or incredibly well read?
Healing others for profit
or to help your team get ahead?

Though maybe a Thief?
Picking pockets on the street 
or using blades to cause harm?
Silent as a shadow
or filled with roguish charm?
Nimbly fleeing from guards
or never even raising an alarm?



What would you most want to be?
And what would you actually be?

In a world of wonder,
in a world of magic,
in a world of fantasy?



    So I wasn't really coming up with anything to blog about but I eventually decided to talk about fantasy and what I would want to be compared to what I'd probably actually be.  I started that as an introduction but it became a longer poem than I originally intended.  It's pretty basic but I think I like it anyway.

    As a quick note, I want to let everyone know about my inspiration for the idea as well as the poem.  It's a young adult novel entitled School for Adventurers which is being co-authored by Kara Loo and Jennifer Young.  http://www.schoolforadventurers.com Here you can read about the story and characters as well as see a sneak preview of the first five chapters!  That's a fair bit too.  It's a young adult novel so fairly easy reading but even so, it was over 130 pages for that sample and I liked it fairly well.  You can also find their kickstarter page and support the authors' work. I'm poor and can't do that but maybe one of you might be able to!



    So personally, I would definitely want to be a thief most.  I love stealth and hiding in the shadows.  I'm a huge fan of both wielding a single and double daggers as well as bows if you want to include those in a thief's repertoire   I believe it should be included though that may be the influence of the the Thief games.  In that archery can be used with special arrows that augment your regular stealth options such as water arrows that put out torches or moss arrows that coat surfaces in a mos which you can sneak across much more quietly than other surfaces like metal.

    I also am a fan of the way they are often more interesting as characters.  They can't just brute force their way through a problem with strength or magic, they use finesse in their methods and have to circumnavigate challenges using their intelligence and instinct.  Rogues, assassins, scoundrels, duelists, thieves, etc are all incredibly interesting and my favorite personally.

Guild Wars 2 has some of my favorite art.


    On the other hand, I may very well not be a good thief.  While I can be quiet, occasionally graceful, able to sit still for a long time and able to think around problems with the right mindset, I am rather large.  I can't climb worth anything and I may feel bad about many items I steal as my moral compass can be frustratingly rigid at times.  More on that in some later blog probably!  I am very intelligent though I don't care to study so I may make a decent mage and a decent cleric.  I also might have it in me to be a warrior simply due to my large build (tall, broad shouldered, etc) though I think that fits least well due to my fairly low pain tolerance   I'm not a fan of pain at all.  It hurts!  ... In any case, I don't think it'd fit as well.  If you know me I'm curious as to what you think.  What do you feel about for yourself?  Hope you enjoyed!

-Brilliant Baritone

No comments:

Post a Comment