Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tangents Sprung from Fluffy Hair

    So I haven't made a post in forever but that's a mix of business, laziness, and just not having any thoughts I really felt like sharing.  Tonight however, I'm feeling much more bored with my usual activities and no one is available to hang out. This is in spite of my hair being awesome and fluffy today.  All I really wanted for the day was to share my the fluffiness of my hair and my good mood.  Sadly things don't always turn out how we'd like them to.

    I'm going to run off on my first tangent of this post.  I really like fall!  It's my favorite season of all of them and I doubt it will ever change.  I hate the heat of summer and fall brings the brisk and chilly air that is perfect for wearing hoodies and jeans.  It's perfect for cuddling up with that someone special and just enjoying being close to someone.  To me, fall is the mot beautiful season both literally and figuratively.  Don't worry, I'll explain.  Fall is the season of death.  Things are coming to and end in both the year and the cycle of nature.  Winter is the period of rest and being dead while fall, to me, is the transition.  Despite this, everything makes an effort to be vibrant and as beautiful as it can.  It's a final farewell.  It seems like nature is shouting that if it's going to die (albeit only for a while) it's going to live as hard as it can before it's over.  I think I'd like that in my life.  I know it's not a new idea of course.  Knowing the phases, realizing their meaning and actually living that way while maintaining responsibility though?  That isn't the easiest of things to do.  Still.  Fall is beautiful and it makes me feel alive.

Simply Gorgeous

    I may also feel alive due to this next tangent though!  I have been dieting these last few weeks.  Five is more accurate.  It's been exactly 36 days according to the thing I've been using.  I just recorded my weight today and I'm making pretty good progress!  I've lost 13.6 pounds so far.  It may not always seem like a ton to me.  I don't look that different to me nor is it incredibly large compared to how much I want to be.  Still, it's working remarkably well.  All I've been doing is counting calories basically.  My parents both did this before I started and so I want to as well.  My limit for a day is technically 1690 calories.  I feel disappointed if I get past 1600 though.  Ironically, some days I eat really light and I have to eat extra so that I get to at least 1200.  Apparently it's not healthy to have less and your body thinks it needs to store more fat?  I don't know.  What's remarkable about this is that I don't actually Do much.  I have my college online, I play video games and watch shows/movies, and I read.  I don't do a whole lot of exercise but I'm still losing over two pounds a week on average.  It can be tough though.  It isn't at home very much but when I go out to eat it's so difficult!  I usually only eat half of my meal and it's over alf the calories I'll eat for the day.  Also, salads can be bloody deceptive!  Many restaurants have salads as meals.  These often sound pretty good.  Yeah... I had a crispy chicken salad on an earlier week.  It was around 1500 calories alone >_<!  whatever they put in those (chicken, sigh...) is calorie-filled.  It isn't always bad though.  I had a salad somewhere else and used only half the dressing they gave me on the side.  That was a pretty low calorie option and incredibly tasty!

    Tangent number three is about books.  In fact, it is about four books that have become an infamous sensation.  That's right, this tangent is all about the Twilight series.  Now, as you may know, I am a male.  You may also know, I like to play video games.  I read fantasy books that are deemed quite well written.  I really love the Twilight books.  I typed that sentence quite hard, just so you know.  I don't care if you think it's pathetic of me, I'll always hold them pretty close in my heart.  Now, that doesn't mean I read them all the time though I have read them all at least twice.  They're something comfortable, something safe.  When something happens or I feel incredibly down about something, it's not uncommon for me to pick up and try and lose myself in it.  Kingdom Hearts is a similar thing for me actually but that's not for this tangent.  Now, I know it isn't the best writing in the world.  I also know that Bella isn't the best of protagonists.  I also know how horrible and blasphemous it is to have vampires sparkle.  Though you know what?  The other aspects of the vampires I have no problem with.  Had it just been a species of predator that had evolved to look human and found human flesh the most satisfying no one would mind Meyer's vampires.  My point of all this is that I'm so sick of everyone hating it.  Clearly not everyone hates Twilight as it sold incredibly well!  Something about it is enticing right?  It may not be to you, but I enjoy it and I really hate all the crap it gets.  I can respect your opinions, yeah.  It's fine if you've read it and didn't like it.  How could I blame you for that? A lot of people who vocally bash it haven't though!  These are people who comment on how it's badly written too!  It makes me really annoyed when I shouldn't let it but it gets to me every time.  I'm fine if you know it's not your style of book and you know that it wouldn't interest you so you don't read it. I also know it won't stop being ridiculed any time soon either; people like easy sport after all.

    Tangent four is related to tangent three actually.  It's about Brandon Sanderson, one of my favorite authors.  Sanderson writes more than I can fathom.  His first work, Elantris, was published in 2005.  Okay, not too long yeah?  He has six short stories/novellas, four young adult books in a series, Mistborn, a full size trilogy with a fourth book recently published, two standalone novels, And his most recent novel, the start of a longer series, The Stormlight Archive (hardback 1001 pages, paperback 1250ish... yeah.).  In addition to all that he also finished Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series which is known for its intense amount of plot lines and characters.  Sounds like a ton, yeah?  That's not it though!  He also teaches some writing classes.  He does a lot of writing for his blog as well.  Even more than that however, he does some behind the scenes writings chapter by chapter for many of his books that can be found on his website!  He writes a lot.  It's discouraging in some ways.  On the plus side, He'll often have new stuff for me to read!  That's much better than slower authors.  My other favorite author, Patrick Rothfuss, writes much slower.  The Name of the wind came out in 2007 and the second book in 2011...  I really want the third one out so I can read the rest of them because they are incredibly fantastic!!! Sigh... fantastic enough it completely discouraged my novel I was working on.  That's okay though, with hindsight, I didn't have enough meat for my plot.

A Couple Books of Sanderson's

   Yup.  I think that's a large enough blog for today!  I'll try and keep up an occasional blog from now on, I really will.  What will the next one be?  More random thoughts and tangents?  Another thing about a video game or series?  Maybe on books?  It'll be whatever I feel like!  That or maybe what you think I should write on.  If you Do have desire to read about something, let me know and I'd be happy to write on it!

Oh yeah. Rothfuss is a Wizard. Just FYI.

No comments:

Post a Comment